Saturday, July 9, 2011

Running/collapsing in the heat

Everyone always looks forward to summer for their best runs. No snow, no cold weather and no potential pneumonia.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like slipping on snow when I'm supposed to be running on pavement any more than the next person. But I can wrap up in spandex layers to stay warm. There's only so far I can strip down in the heat before I start catching some stares...

Today barely hit 90 degrees, but in a tank top and shorts, I still could barely finish my 6-mile run. As it is, I took a slight short cut to skip one of the hills up A Street and 1st Avenue. I walked at least a third of the run because the heat was just too much to handle.

To be fair, it was partly my fault. Smart people go running in the morning or evening when the heat is less severe. But not me. My royal genius self decided that 1pm (hottest part of the afternoon) would be a great time to run and it would help increase my tan. Neither of those were great ideas.

There was a point where I nearly skipped the Bonneville Blvd loop part of my run and turned back. A bicyclist witnessed my near breakdown as I turned around twice during my indecision. I battled with the idea of just running 4 miles and calling it good.

In the end, I ran the rest of the loop and finished 6 miles, only skipping one hill out of sheer heat exhaustion.

It would be nice to be a guy and run shirtless, but I have a hunch that wouldn't work too well. For multiple reasons.

My second option is to get up at 6am to go running. Screw that, where's my gym membership card again...?

No comments:

Post a Comment