Saturday, July 16, 2011

How To Stay Cool During The Summer Run

So. Just one week after my sweltering Saturday run where I had to stop and walk every 5-10 minutes, the morning came and went with me asleep and I missed my opportunity to beat the heat of an afternoon run.

I set out in a tank top and shorts at noon fearing a repeat of last week's heat exhaustion and tried running this Saturday.

Except surprisingly, my fears came to no end. The only time I stopped running was to remove a leaf that caught onto my sock and was bugging the back of my ankle. The rest of the run was hot but with an occasional wind gust that I think made all the difference.

But that might not always work. So when I got home, I found my first issue of Runner's World sitting on the coffee table - which is a really really good thing to come home to after a run.

I found some suggestions to keep hot runs less excruciating:

1) Put ice cubes on a sponge under a baseball or other kind of hat to wear before going running. The ice will trickle down and cool you off

2) Similar idea but different execution: Soak a baseball cap in water and put it in the freezer the night before going running to wear.

3) This is just plain obvious: stay well hydrated

4) My personal favorite: Find sprinklers during your run and DON'T miss them :)

Let me know if any of them work for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment