Saturday, April 9, 2011

What is running without Music?

I remember the days when I would go running with nothing but the sounds of the wind, traffic and occasional critter rustling past as I traversed roads in Layton and Clearfield.

But only barely... Nowadays, even the thought of going running without music has me untying my running shoes.

I don't know what happened. Just last Tuesday I realized how much I have come to rely on music when I run. I was stretching out on the floor of my room, feeling the typical pain of my legs that indicates I shouldn't wear heels ever again, when I suddenly remembered that I'd left my phone in Roy (30 miles north of Salt Lake City).

Ever since I bought the MyTouch 4g cell phone and learned how to download music onto it, it has been my constant running companion. Not only does it let me know when someone is trying to call - not that I ever answer - but it plays song after song into my distracted mind. I've even started gauging how fast/slow I'm running that day based on how far I've gone when a certain song (ones by Flogging Molly especially) starts to play.

So the prospect of going running without my phone had me contemplating a trip to the gym, or extra sleep, as an alternative to a music-free jog.

Thankfully I had an old 8gb Ipod just waiting to be charged that I was able to use for the run.

So I went on my typical 6.2 mile run, contemplating how much I've come to rely on technology. I won't go to the gym without a book or movie or tv show downloaded on my phone that I can use as a distraction to the monotony that 30 minutes on an elliptical machine and 30 minutes on a bike brings.

Maybe one of these days I'll be able to run without music again. But I have no idea why I would want that...

No comments:

Post a Comment